By Lynn Woolley
Crises comes and crises go – and this one we find ourselves in now may very well prove unimportant in decades to come.
But suppose it doesn’t?
We’ve never really faced a situation such as the one we’re in now with millions of people coming here illegally without assimilation. But then again, we’ve been in bad places before. Our worst internecine conflict was the War Between the States in which soldiers fought against their own brothers and 600,000 of us died.
In more recent times, we’ve survived the Watts riots in Los Angeles , student occupations at Berkeley, the Symbionese Liberation Army , and bombings perpetrated by Obama’s friends at the Weather Underground .
The real question is whether the world can make it with a United States that has been turned into a much weaker, third world nation.
That IS what’s happening.
Immigration is the vital issue of our times – and it is transforming the United States.
Most countries have borders and enforce them. Countries like North Korea and Iran either lock you up and throw away the key, or they shoot you on the spot if you violate their laws. We’ve taken on the European model – compassion and open borders, and our country is fundamentally changing.
Liberals support these changes. Conservatives do not.
President Trump is trying to control our borders and implement a sensible policy that eschews chain migration, the visa lottery and fake claims of asylum. Mr. Trump wants a logical, merit-based system in which people who want to become Americans come here legally – and assimilate.
Such a plan used to make sense even to the Left. But not anymore.
Video: The Left unhinged — kicks Sarah Sanders out of the Red Hen
They fail to see the upheaval in Europe where migration is the Number One issue – existential in fact. If the UK, France, Italy, Spain, and Greece cannot solve their immigration problems, they will cease to exist as they are now and will likely become Muslim nations.
Likewise, if the United States does not work to preserve its culture and traditions, we will be transformed. Will we open our borders and grand judicial hearings to people who break in? Or will be get tough and send them back without consulting left-wing judges?
Video: The Left’s hate-filled poster girl — Maxine waters
Sometimes, doing the right thing for the country can be tough on some people.
Pundit and former presidential candidate Pat Buchanan questions whether the United States has the will  to survive. He asks if there is a Christian, progressive way to seal the border. He frames the question this way:
Does the survival of the West as a civilization require a ruthlessness the West no longer possess?
What is this guy talking about? What does he mean by “ruthlessness?” Specifically, Mr. Buchanan says that our Founders did not hesitate to do what they had to do – even in terms that would be politically incorrect y today’s standards.
• The English settlers brought in 600,000 slaves, ethnically cleansed the Indians, joined their cousins in a war to expel the French, then revolted and threw out those cousins to claim all the land to the Mississippi.
• Jefferson grabbed the Louisiana Territory for $15 million from Napoleon, who had no right to sell it. Andrew Jackson drove the Spanish out of Florida, sent the Cherokee packing on the Trail of Tears, and told a dissenting Chief Justice John Marshall where he could go.
• Sam Houston tore Texas away from Mexico. “Jimmy” Polk took the Southwest and California in a war Ulysses Grant called “the most unjust ever fought.” When the South declared independence, Lincoln sent a million-man army to march them back in a war that cost 600,000 lives.
• William McKinley sent armies and warships to seize Puerto Rico, Hawaii, Guam and the Philippines. The indigenous peoples were not consulted. “God told me to take the Philippines,” said McKinley.
What Buchanan is asking it this: Will we stick to modern sensibilities and die before we will fight to save what we have built? On the bad side, we’d lose our country. On the good side, we, by God, would have not offended anyone.
What about America’s obligation to the world?
Our planet is full of jerks like Kim Jong Un, Nicolas Madura , the Ayatollahs in Iran, President Xi Jinping , and of course, Vladimir Putin of Russia. With Europe fast fading, it falls upon the United States to be the force that stops the world from succumbing to drug cartels, Islamic terrorists, and thuggish dictators.
Video: Trump in Phoenix Jan. 2017 – FNN: President Donald Trump NEW Immigration Policy AND Border Wall Details
If we don’t do it, who will? And if we don’t, we will fall to them as well.
So what if we turn away some illegals as they attempt to cross? What about it if we don’t provide judges so they can have hearings about their “rights?” What of it if we put children in detention centers until we can figure out what to do with them?
An America that allows its values and traditions to be supplanted along with its language cannot stand. As things stand now, we are hamstrung by several forces:
• The Swamp (government bureaucracy) 
• Irrational hatred of President Trump 
• Political correctness
• Left-wing judges 
• Flat-out wrong interpretations of the Constitution 
• Left-wing colleges and universities that indoctrinate our students 
• The generally liberal and anti-American media 
• Left wing politicians (Dems & Reps) 
President Donald John Trump may very well be the last, best hope to save America.
More than anything else, we need to secure our borders, adopt the Trump immigration plan, and implement a major, emergency-driven effort to assimilate the immigrants we already have. President Trump is doing the best he can with what he has to work with.  He is appreciated by many, as we see at the rallies he conducts.
The rest of America must get on board. We have to toughen up. We have to do some things that may be disturbing—but are vital and necessary for our own survival. The old ways are rapidly changing. We must recognize that, because if Trump fails, America fails. If America fails, the world will be in chaos.